- The Liberal National Government has committed $15.4 million for a second round of the Agricultural Shows Development Grant Program.
- Program is to support the repairs, upgrades, building or buying showground infrastructure or attractions for showgrounds.
Agricultural shows will benefit from $15.4 million under the Liberal National Government for a second round of the heavily oversubscribed Agricultural Shows Development Grant Program.
Minister for Agriculture and Northern Australia David Littleproud said the funding would support the growth and long-term sustainability of this important industry.
“Show societies will be able to use these funds to upgrade or repair showground infrastructure,” Minister Littleproud said.
“These grants will provide regional communities with the opportunity to make showground facilities safe, attractive and accessible for showground users and the 6 million annual visitors.
“Agricultural shows are important as they are a driver for innovation and education, they showcase Australia’s food and fibre, and support local economies.
“They generate $1 billion for regional Australia in economic benefits, they’re supported by around 50,000 volunteers, and most importantly, they play an important role in the social and economic fabric of regional Australia.
“The last couple of years have seen unprecedented disruptions to agricultural shows, and this is our way of helping out.”
Member for Groom, Garth Hamilton welcomed the second round of Agricultural Show Development funding.
“Our local ag shows are events that are looked forward to by locals in the Toowoomba Region every year.
“The first round of this program was heavily oversubscribed, so I’m pleased that shows in Toowoomba Region will have an opportunity later this year to apply to the second round for funding.
“I acknowledge it has been a rough few years for show societies due to Covid-19, which is why the Liberal National Government has provided almost $100 million in support for shows and field days across the nation.”
The Agricultural Show Development Grants program will open for applications later this year.
- Agricultural shows across Australia, except the Capital City Royal Shows, will be able to apply for this program.
- The Liberal National Government is providing almost $100 million in support for agricultural shows and field days:
- $15.4 million for a second round of the Agricultural Shows Development Grant Program.
- $20 million under Round 1 of the Regional Agricultural Shows Development Grant Program.
- $34.7 million under Round 1 of the Supporting Agricultural Shows and Field Days program.
- $21 million under Round 2 of the Supporting Agricultural Shows and Field Days program.
- $8.3 million under the Supporting Agricultural Showmen and Women program.